The study of family ancestries and histories
- National Archives: Genealogists/Family Historians
- A great starting place for genealogical research, how-to tips for beginners and experts, links to primary sources world-wide, and databases of family trees.
- National Archives: State Archives
- Genealogists may need to get information from state archives and historical societies. Here is contact information as of January, 2006
- Cyndi’s List
- A categorized and cross-referenced index to genealogical resources on the Internet, 261,000+ links for family history! (as of 9/1/06)
- Repository of Primary Sources
- A listing of over 5000 websites describing holdings of manuscripts, archives, rare books, historical photographs, and other primary sources for the research scholar.
- Iowa Genealogical Society
- IGS is a non-profit organization whose mission is to create and foster an interest in genealogy and to aid others in researching their family history. IGS was founded in 1965 by a small group of dedicated genealogists who met in members' houses and carried the original collection in an orange crate. Today our 3,000+ members are worldwide and the book collection alone spans the length of over five football fields.
- State Historical Society of Iowa
- A main repository of Iowa historical and genealogical information.
- Society of American Archivists
- Organizations, associations and groups related to or of interest to the archival profession.